Wednesday, December 28, 2011

52 Poetry Books on the Wall

At the beginning of 2011, a group of us on Twitter made resolutions to read 52 books of poetry this year, as suggested by Larry Lawrence, aka @TheAmericanPoet, and who accomplished his goal. We all followed along using #52poetry and I am happy for the little community we built as we shared the books we were reading and discovered some new poets through recommendations.

And I'm doing it again in 2012! And adding one fiction book a month to the line-up.

Here's my #52poetry list for 2011:

Curses and Wishes by Carl Adamshick
Enter chapbook by Robert Lee Brewer
Escape chapbook by Robert Lee Brewer
Paper House by Jessie Carty
All of Us by Raymond Carver
Flies by Michael Dickman
Lighthead by Terrance Hayes
After by Jane Hirshfield
Come, Thief by Jane Hirshfield
When the Only Light is Fire by Saeed Jones
Neon Vernacular by Yusef Komunyakaa
What Learning Leaves by Taylor Mali
The Memory of Water by Jack Myers
Words Under the Words by Naomi Shihab Nye
Transfer by Naomi Shihab Nye
Ariel by Sylvia Plath
Next Extinct Mammal by Ruben Quesada
Above the Hum of the Yellow Jackets chapbook Jackets by Carol Stephen
Come On All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder

That's 23 books, and I know I've forgotten a few, but I didn't start keeping a list until mid-year. (I know better for this year.) And I'm currently a quarter of the way through Tess Gallagher's Midnight Lantern.

Also, I read all issues of Poetry Magazine along with a number of excellent literary journals. And I added two new subscriptions for 2012.

What was on your reading list this year? Any favorites? And what is on your list for 2012?

Happy reading, Andrea


4 comments:

  1. wow, that's quite a list. wishing I had the time to read as much - lucky, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sheila. My husband loves me a little less this year but he's made a resolution to read along with me in 2012.

    Wishing you the best in the new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a few books in common. Almost bought & read the Jane Hirschfield books. May have to get now! I kept all mine on a special little book shelf or else I would have had trouble keeping track. I'm getting in touch with some old classics now (Tom Sawyer, Poe, Deerslayer, etc.) Think I may do the 52 again! Glad it was such a pleasurable experience for you. Does your husband read poetry too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A special shelf is a good idea, Larry. For some reason, I thought it was you who suggested the After collection by Jane Hirshfield. Or maybe it was Mary Oliver? She is on my list for 2012. I do hope you do it again!

    Thanks for the nudge this year. It was a wonderful experience and really broadened my reading horizon. My husband it not a poetry lover (he tries) but he is not a big reader at all so he is going to try to make it a habit this year. I'm happy for this!

    All best to you in 2012 and thanks for all your support this year!

    ReplyDelete