Thursday, January 26, 2012

Month of Letters and Poetry

Mailboxes, Great Island, Narragansett, RI
Via Flickr by pocius
It's rare we receive handwritten letters or postcards through the mail anymore. I try to make an effort to send out hand-written thank-you notes every chance I get. Outside of that, everything is electronic right down to the bills. But I still love the hand-written note...

Yesterday, I came across link to Mary Robinette Kowal's blog via mediabistro featuring a Month of Letters Challenge. I want to participate and invite you to join me! The rules are simple:

1. During the month of February, send one item (letter, postcard, etc.) through the mail each day it runs. (24 items total.)
2. Respond to everyone who sends you something through the mail and this can count as one of your items sent. 

I'm going to mix it up just a little. I'm going to send postcards with favorite poems and a small note in closing.

My friend Rachel Bunting raised her hand to participate and featured this same article on her blog to further the invitation along. She's also included a nice video of PJ Harvey advocating for letter writing.

Who else will I have the pleasure of sending a postcard to? Please say you. :) 

P.S. If you would like to participate, please send me your address via email to drebelle81@gmail.com.

Happy writing, Andrea


10 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I won't be able to participate, but I like the idea of this. I'd always thought I'd never give up letter/note writing. And I haven't. But I do very little with pen and paper. Most of it is through the computer these days ... Progress? I don't know, but it's certainly become a comfortable way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne. Yes, technology has made many things quite convenient. Progress in a way I believe until our computer crashes. ;) Happy Friday to you!

      Delete
  2. This is a fun idea. I'm usually quick to embrace all things digital, but there is something special about holding someone's handwritten words in my hands that the digital age has yet to duplicate. I'm not sure if I can uphold a commitment to 24 pieces of mail, but I'm taking it under advisement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Even if you can't participate with the 24 pieces of mail, I am happy to send you a postcard. You let me know. :) Enjoy your afternoon and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Ooooooh, this sounds like so much fun. I have this book called Gift of a Letter by Alexandra Stoddard I just love based on this concept. I would love to join in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Thanks, Karen! I'm going to look that book up. I appreciate your suggestion.

      Delete
  4. Morning Andrea! I've awarded the Versatile Blogger Award! As with all awards, tiaras, and the like, there's some responsibilities (which is really just a fun way to meet great bloggers). More info at http://www.cindymbell.com/2012/01/27/blog-love/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know that I have several snailmail friends still? You are so right, Andee...it's such a special feeling to open that envelope. You are going to make some people happy by sending them a poem too...a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friends are blessed, Laura! Thanks for your sweet comment. Have a lovely Sunday. :)

      Delete