Thursday, March 8, 2012

First Moment of Existence

March is National Women's History Month. Whom do you celebrate?

"For a long time I believe my first moment of existence is when I jump over a broom. I remember a house. I remember sunlight through a window..." - from Caramelo by Sanda Cisneros

For me, this window is my Grandma's small kitchen window, a weeping willow peeking in from it's left corner while we are kneading dough for flour tortillas in our hands, her hands twice the size of mine. She walks over to a drawer and pulls out a miniature rolling pin, the first gift I can remember her giving me. This moment one of the greatest.

Grandma in my kitchen many years later doing what she loves to do and cooking my favorite Thanksgiving meal!

Three generations in the kitchen: Grandma, Mom, and Me

8 comments:

  1. The poem resonates. I love the photo of 3 generations and how your grandma taught you to make tortillas.
    My mom tried to teach me too, but I had a hard time with the rolling pin and my tortillas always looked like the map of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Because I don't make them often enough, mine look like various states in the US as well! ;) Have a lovely Friday!

      Delete
  2. I love the photo of you with your mom and grandma. Lovely memories to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Kathleen. Best wishes for a happy weekend!

      Delete
  3. What beautiful ladies in your family! And that poem...*sigh*. I did not know it was women's history month. Yes, we must celebrate. I give thanks for all the strong women who made the path straighter for me and for the soft hands who have given me love over the years. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Andee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you, Laura. And I agree with you whole-heartedly.

      Delete
  4. Love seeing three generations of women from the same family side by side! How wonderful.

    And fresh flour tortillas?! YUM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete