Thursday, September 6, 2012

Why Do You Write?

Purpose has been on my mind lately. Passion has been on my mind lately too. I'm working on my statement of purpose and a few critical essays for the upcoming MFA application season. After reading too many essays and comments about the "To MFA or not" debate, my mind's become a little foggy. What is it really that I'm seeking? Why am I wanting to pursue my MFA? One answer: To become a better read and writer.

I came upon this essay by Junot Díaz yesterday afternoon: "Becoming a Writer." To quote from his last paragraph: "...a writer is a writer because even when there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway."

The fog is beginning to clear, and I'm still writing. I hope you are too.

P.S. If you're a fan of Junot Díaz's work, his new book This is How You Lose Her hits bookstores on September 11th.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with the MFA application process, Andrea. I did my MFA at Hamline University in St. Paul and what I realized was that grad school offered a more intense working environment that I could get on my own. The experience trained me to deconstruct writing on a much deeper level, gave me confidence, and gave me independent acknowledgement that, yes, I now knew what I was doing. My focus and skills got honed.

    An MFA is not a guarantee for anything, but it forces those who do it into richer territory as writers, as artists.

    And why do I write? Because I love to manipulate different impressions of the world. I love to process experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops...."than I could get on my own."

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely looking forward to that richer territory. Thanks for your feedback, Kathleen, and also sharing why you write.

      Delete
  2. All the best to you in your MFA pursuit. If my circumstances were different I would be doing the same, and pretty much for the reasons mentioned by you and "Minnesota".

    The Junot Diaz quote is absolutely spot on, I think. I've always said that we create because we can't NOT.



    ReplyDelete
  3. I just graduated with my MFA from the University of Memphis, and I'd recommend it to anyone that can really devote the time to it. I loved it. I'd go back in a second. If you want any help with your personal statement, I'd be glad to read it over too! I had several friends do that with mine and it was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Tara! Thank you for the recommendation, and your sweet note on the personal statement! I know I will need help with it. Enjoy your week! I'll be in touch soon.

      Delete