Thursday, February 2, 2012

Time For Yourself, Postcards, and More Postcards

Just a few postcards today...
Some observations for today, and I guess we can call them lunch observations since I did all this during my lunch break:

1. It's important to schedule time or yourself, even if you don't feel you're in need of any. I work from home and only interact with people via phone or email so it can get a little glum in my office now and then. So, I took myself to lunch today and decided I'm going to do it once a week. Even if it's just for my tried-and-true tuna sandwich smothered in green chiles and avocado.

2. Who knew postcards could become an obsession? Yikes. I'm participating in the Month of Letters and putting a little poetry spin on it. Short poems on postcards. I'm enjoying picking out poems to go with the image on them. So far, I've sent out "Green Striped Melons" by Jane Hirshfield and "Michiko Nogami (1946-1982)" by Jack Gilbert. I can't wait for the weekend!

3. In my search for postcards, it seems no one really carries them anymore. I got lucky that one of the Barnes & Noble stores in my city still has a few on the rack, but they're not stocking them anymore. (Too late I found this out after driving to the other store across town in hopes of a more plentiful rack.) I went to another small bookstore with no luck, then even made my way to Hallmark, but they've discontinued them as well. Why? These perfect little cards say so much with just one image. Are postcards dead? Am I going to have to start making my own?

4. The mark of a productive day is a chocolate smudge from a York peppermint patty on your keyboard, at least it is for me today.

How has your day been? What does the mark of a productive day look like to you? And if you know of a good place to buy postcards besides Amazon, will you let me know? Please and thank you!

Smile, Andrea

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hope you found one on your desk today, Mark. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. Interesting about the lack of postcards. Tourist-y areas have them, and museums often carry a supply too. And then there's the post-office, but they're just plain, not with any images on them.

    Your idea to match a verse to the postcard picture reminds me of how I blog, matching each post's text to the visual of a photograph :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making a trip to the museum this weekend, Joanne, so I will kill two birds with one stone and stock up on postcards.

      You blog is always appealing both textually and visually. The perfect blend of coffee and cream!

      Delete
  3. You are so right about about postcards, I have only been successful at touristy-type places. College bookstores sometimes have them, and drugstores.

    What a great project though, poetry is versatile. Or maybe I just need to learn to write shorter prose, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about the college bookstore. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Wishing you a weekend full of satisfying writing! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I was suppose to pick up postcards for my daughter for a school project and ran into the same problem. I couldn't find postcards anywhere. I was suppose to get postcards with a Minnesota theme but couldn't even find travel postcards. I never did find her any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, after the postcard I received from you today, I think you need to go into the business of creating postcards! You are so unique and crafty, Karen!

      Delete
  5. I love postcards (museums and galleries are my usual source, and paper/stationery stores, sometimes)...

    Half-Price Books (do you have one of those by you?) has excellent postcard books.

    I am still planning to create some postcards (at some point)...if I make them, I'll send ya some.

    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Half-Price Books in El Paso unfortunately. I miss stopping in there! My next trip to Dallas will yield lots of postcards!

      If you do make any, I'm sure they'll be wonderful and I'd be happy to receive one!

      Wishing you the same, Hannah. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, Andee, this post made me smile. And how my tired heart needed a smile. :)Your excitement is contagious. Isn't this the rich gift--to find joy in the simplest of things? I am loving your postcard obsession. And I might even have a peppermint patty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Smiles are gifts that keep on giving and I appreciate yours.

      Cheers to your peppermint patty! Have a glorious weekend!

      Delete
  7. I love the postcards project; that's a great idea. The art of handwritten letters and postcards seem to be dead. Unfortunate though, because we all need them in the mail. Especially if they have beautiful words written on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do, Beverly. Seems there's a good group of people trying to keep them alive this month.

      Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a beautiful Saturday.

      Delete
  8. I love sending post cards! I kind of stock up when I go on vacation - there's no shortage in places like Las Vegas or anywhere within a few miles of Disneyland. People always enjoy them, and I get the satisfaction of knowing I brought a smile to their faces. I know I'd rather get a post card than a bill to pay, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Caren! We need to make the mailbox a place that bears good things again! ;) Hope you are doing well and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete